Sunday, August 3, 2008

This is STANLEY



This is Stanley. He is a pigeon - for those of you who couldn't figure that one out. Here is the short story of Stanley...Friday night I was going to the furniture store to purchase some pictures. Well, of course because I didn't check to see what time they closed got there to late. So, back on to the freeway jumped to get home & as I was coming around the corner of the on-ramp -- THUMP A pigeon hit off the side of my windshield. I look in my rearview mirror mirror & all I see is flopping around of this bird. Now, because am a sapp - I made two trips back to the "scene" to see if I could get the bird out of harm's way. No such luck by myself because he was sort of on a blind corner & I didn't want to get hit by traffic getting on o the freeway. So, I proceed home, feeling very, very bad.

Now something you may or may not know about me, I like to "save" animals & to date don't have too bad of a track record (except with fish) This whole "animal resuce" thing I so got from my Dad. So, I sit and "pout" & "stew" about it all night. At about 11pm I finally talk Jeff into coming back to the freeway on-ramp to see if the bird is still there. Basically, I am sure he did it cause he knows what a pain in the ass I can be when I get like this. So off we go to rescue the pigeon. Which we do! I was so happy, we got him into the car safe & sound and got him home...where we named him Stanley. He just looked like a Stanley to me!


Our next step is to find out where we can take an bird with a injured wing. When I went back to look at him I noticed that he had what looked like a very bad sore of some kind on his breast...did not look good. And both his wings were fine and he seemed fine, he was pooping alot so I thought he would be okay. I got him some water & some bread...made him a little bed & turned out the lights.


Saturday morning I made some calls & found out that the only place that we could take Stanley was to Ogden. Ogden?!?!?!? Again, for those of you who know me - I very rarely go past the Delta Center & at $4.20 a gallon this was getting to be a pretty expensive "rescue mission" So, I checked on Stanley (pictures above) and he seemed fine. I got the car all ready for him & went to get him. This took about 30 minutes from the time that I took the pictures. When I got back down stairs, he was slumped over and struggling to breath. I got him quick in a towel so I could hold him & he died. Yep, I was totally bummed - but didn't cry :) OK I did a little bit - stupid bird! :)


We got him all wraped up and in a box & placed him in the garbage. As I thought about it, I realized that I didn't hit him, he probably "fell" into my car - so I wasn't the cause of his death - the sore on his breast was, which made me feel a little bit better. AnyHoo -- above are the pictures I took of Stanley! Maybe, I helped just a little bit!

No comments: